CLEAR LAKE, Iowa - For the past three years, Heidi Sokol has been teaching kindergarten and 1st grade at Clear Lake Classical.
She was in for quite a surprise after finding out she was nominated for the Golden Apple award.
"Oh, well, excited and shocked,” says Sokol.
Clear Lake Classical was established in 2014 as a private, Christian school committed to providing a classical and biblically-based education to young people in primary and secondary grade levels.
That is something Mrs. Sokol says is very important the students learn.
“We have a saying, 'why are we working so hard at our school to become fit rulers someday into the kingdom of heaven?' And so everyday we’re instilling that in them,” says Sokol.
Students like Joe Becthold and Naomi Shreck also enjoy learning through their combo quizzes and letters.
“It’s like where we have a board and paper and we do boards for practice. We use markers on our board and spell words and sounds,” says Becthold.
Mrs. Sokol says her main goal is to keep her students engaged and excited about learning.
"I want them to love learning; I want them to continue on into junior high and high school."
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Heidi Sokol
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Rob Heimbuch, NIACC
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Megan Gapinski
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Josh Bass
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Kari Olson
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Kimberly Fleming
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Alissa Sauer
- Golden Apple Award winners from January
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Kyle Rosedahl
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Mr. Sam Brown