CHARLES CITY, Iowa - In a surprise assembly, Ms. Stephani Barry received the Golden Apple Award on Tuesday at Immaculate Conception School.
“Oh, I was so surprised, the girls had been doing something secret for the last couple of weeks,” says Ms. Barry.
Those girls are 6th graders Alex Wright, Tayleigh Lantz and Isabelle Vance. They nominated Ms. Stephani Barry for the prestigious award.
“She's just so caring, she's always there for you,” says Alex.
“She's so goofy and fun,” says Tayleigh.
“She has like teacher super powers,” says Isabelle.
But if you ask the 5th and 6th grade teacher what her super powers are, she'll tell you it's all about being authentic in the classroom.
“I think it's really important to let the kids see the real side of me and my goofy side. I'm not afraid to look silly or dorky in front of the kids because I think it just makes them feel more comfortable around me and creates a better relationship,” says Barry.
Not only is Ms. Barry building relationships, she is also encouraging her students to be comfortable in their own skin.
“I think it also shows them that it's okay to be yourself and make mistakes,” she says.
As for how Ms. Barry feels about being a Golden Apple Award winner?
“It feels great, it really shows that sometimes I don't think I am doing as good of a job but it shows that they obviously think I am.”
- Golden Apple Award: Ms. Stephani Barry
- Golden Apple Award: Ms. Morgan Howie
- Golden Apple Award: Ms. Caley Johnson, Charles City
- Golden Apple Award: Lisa Nelson
- Golden Apple Award finalists announced
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Megan Gapinski
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Josh Bass
- Golden Apple Award: Megan Merkel from Cresco
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Kari Olson
- Golden Apple Award: Amber Sherrard from Rockford