CRESCO, Iowa - Humble and thankful are just a few words to describe preschool teacher Megan Merkel as she accepted her award.
"I just feel so appreciated and recognized ... anyone that works here could have received this award."
For the past 13 years, Merkel has taught pre-school students at Cresco Early Childhood Center.
“I come here every day and I want that individual connection with each and every student,” says Merkel.
Paraprofessional Amy Norby says she had the pleasure of learning from Merkle by working in her classroom with students, which led her to nominate her for all of her hard work.
“She goes above and beyond to make sure that not only the class is learning but also the staff is learning,” says Norby.
And she says she is hopeful that parents can see the impact and know their kids are in good hands.
"Just because I know that they are taking away a lot and they are super excited to come to school in the morning,” says Norby.
“We’re always looking for that thing that is going to catch their interest and spark that learning for them because we want them to be lifelong learners,” says Merkel.
- Golden Apple Award: Megan Merkel from Cresco
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Megan Gapinski
- Golden Apple Award: Lisa Nelson
- Golden Apple Award finalists announced
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Josh Bass
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Kari Olson
- Golden Apple Award: Amber Sherrard from Rockford
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Heidi Sokol
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Kimberly Fleming
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Alissa Sauer