ROCHESTER, Minn. – People have returned to their homes after a Tuesday afternoon gas leak.
The Rochester Fire Department was contacted just before 12:30 pm about a leak in the area of 2018 Chardonnay Lane NW. A construction contractor is being blamed for hitting an underground natural gas line. Firefighters say by the time they arrived on the scene, Minnesota Energy Resources was already evacuating the surrounding homes. Firefighters say gas could be heard leaking from the ground.
The Fire Department says MN Energy crews located and clamped the necessary lines to stop the leak and firefighters used gas monitoring equipment to determine it was safe for residents to return.
Gold Cross Ambulance Service and Rochester Public Utilities assisted at the scene. There were no reported injuries.