UPDATE: The Worth County Sheriff's Office says the evacuation is over. If anyone smells gas upon returning home, they are asked to leave the area again and contact Alliant Energy.
NORTHWOOD, Iowa – A construction crew hit a natural gas line in Northwood Tuesday morning, forcing the evacuation of a one block radius near the intersection of 10th Street and 6th Avenue North.
The Worth County Sheriff’s Office, Northwood Fire/Rescue, Worth County Emergency Management, the Northwood Street Department, and Alliant Energy crews have responded to the scene.
Electric power has been shut off to homes in the affected area and gas service to about 200 homes is going to be disrupted until repairs are made.
The Lutheran Retirement Home is sheltering in place and residents of the affected area can go to the Olson Building. The public is being asked to stay away from the gas leak until repairs are made.
- UPDATE: Evacuation for Northwood gas leak ends
- Gas leak forces temporary evacuations in Northwood
- Gas leak ends safely in Northwood
- Rochester apartments evacuated after gas leak
- Austin block evacuated after gas leak
- UPDATE: Natural gas leak in Rochester
- 6 houses evacuated due to gas leak in Mason City
- Gas leak forces evacuation of Austin furniture store
- Gas leak leads to evacuations at Waldorf University
- Late-night gas leak prompts evacuation at Rochester Hy-Vee