MASON CITY, Iowa - A decision over the future of the North Central Iowa Genealogical Society's spot inside the Mason City Library is still up in the air.
The library told the society in May of this year they would need to vacate the space due to changing needs.
Prior to last month's board meeting, the library offered a proposal that would allow the society to stay if their items became library property and that may be reduced based on available space, as well as being moved to another public area of the library, and potential volunteers that can conduct genealogy searches could apply to be a volunteer. The society offered a counter-proposal that would keep the items under their control and kept intact, replacing shelving, and to pay $1200 in rent per year, as well as changing the name of the space to the "Geneaology and History Center."
The Board of Trustees unanimously rejected the society's proposal on Tuesday afternoon, but did grant an extension for the society to stay in the space until October 31st, and would form a committee that would consist of three board members to meet with the society to work on a compromise.
Carol Tinkey is the Treasurer of the society, and says it's important to keep their large collection together and in one place.
"We've collected over 5,000 items, valuable items. Some things are items that you won't find any place else, especially local things."
She hopes that something can be officially worked out.
"It's drug on far too long. Should've been decided several months ago, and gotten together several months ago."
- Future of geneaology library at Mason City library still being discussed
- Mason City Public Library awaits further repairs.
- Celebrating Rochester Public Library
- Seed Library Opens
- Emergency repairs needed at the Mason City Public Library
- Mason City Public Library to remain closed for now
- Little Free Libraries Gain Popularity
- Rooms damaged by water at Mason City Public Library have reopened
- Mason City library to allow Genealogy Society to stay, under certain conditions
- Mason City elementary school providing free library for students and parents