Dozens of motorists have been rescued as search and rescue operations have been going on since Saturday night, the Freeborn County Sheriff’s Office said.
“We are using our tracked ATV which has seating for five occupants. The Sheriff's Office requested the assistance of the Minnesota Army National Guard yesterday evening to assist us with motorist rescue operations and also sheltering stranded motorists at the Albert Lea armory. The National Guard also uses a tracked vehicle,” the Sheriff’s Office said.
Freeborn County said it has rescued 25 motorists and the national guard has rescued 30 motorists.
At around 4 p.m., the county issued the following statement:
Freeborn County Emergency Situation Protocol Due to Extreme Weather
Freeborn County Essential Services Only
Due to Extreme Weather
Due to the extreme wind and blizzard conditions that will encompass Freeborn County over the next 24 hours, County facilities will be operating under the Freeborn County Emergency Situation Protocol. The following operational changes will be made:
• Freeborn County offices will be operating minimal services with limited staffing from 12:00 PM on February 24, 2019 until 12:00 noon on Monday, February 25, 2019.
• Freeborn County Commissioners and Administration encourage all citizens to remain home and off the roads during the adverse weather.
• Emergency personnel and law enforcement will be on duty without reduction in staffing. Public Works will be on duty as needed.
20-month-old Paisley and her mom were among 30 people rescued by the @MNNationalGuard last night in southeastern Freeborn County as blizzard conditions battered the area. Freeborn County sheriff's deputies rescued an additional 20. 48 people sheltered at the Albert Lea armory. pic.twitter.com/MWeZdf7iR1
— Minnesota HSEM (@MnDPS_HSEM) February 24, 2019
— MN National Guard (@MNNationalGuard) February 24, 2019
CUSTOM FORECAST: Current Conditions
MORE: Maps & Radars
ROAD CONDITIONS: Click Here
INTERACTIVE RADAR: Click Here
LIVE EYE: Tower Cams
SIGN UP: KIMT News 3 Email Newsletter
- Freeborn County: Search and rescue operations; Emergency situation protocol in place
- Emergency situation declared in Freeborn County
- Freeborn County declares State of Emergency due to 'dangerous situation'
- Worth County employees get trained on protocol during an emergency
- Burn ban in place for Freeborn County
- Dodge County has protocol for missing children
- Emergency management surveys flood situation with drone
- Freeborn County Sheriff's Office's K9 places first at annual trials
- Motorcycle accident in Freeborn County
- Motorcycle crash in Freeborn County