ROCHESTER, Minn. – A former southern Minnesota police officer accused of criminal sexual misconduct has made bail and is out of jail.
The Olmsted County Sheriff’s Office said Wednesday that Julio Baez is out of jail. He was held on $500,000 bond with conditions.
Stew Peters is a bail enforcement investigator and owns a bail bond company in Minnesota.
He tells KIMT Baez approached his company, but they declined to represent him.
If Baez were to go through a bail bond company, 10-percent of the $500,000 bail means Baez would've had to pay $50,000 as a premium.
Peters explains due to updated rules in 2016, Baez could've paid less than that up front.
"That Consent Order allows for a bail bond company on bonds over a certain amount to even take less than 10-percent," Peters said. "They can collect as little as 30-percent of that premium which in Mr. Baez' case would be $15,000."
Peters wants people to know the importance of the private bail system. He says everyone has a right to bail and to be free, pending the outcome of the case.
"This is the United States. You're innocent until proven guilty," Peters said. "A lot of people will look at Mr. Baez like he's an animal. I mean you're a cop, you're alleged to have done some really heinous things, but what if he didn't. Now he's locked up in jail, didn't have the opportunity to bail, because there's no private bail system."
Baez is facing charges in Olmsted and Dodge counties.
Baez was arrested on June 19 on two counts of 1st degree and one count of 3rd degree criminal sexual conduct in Olmsted County.
One count alleged Baez engaged in sexual contact with a victim under 13 years of 13.
Baez is facing charges of criminal sexual conduct with three victims.
One victim told investigators that she was sexually assaulted from age 5-16. Another victim stated she was sexually abused beginning at age four.
Authorities have said that Baez, 51, attempted suicide and was discovered June 2 to have self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
- Former police officer accused of criminal sexual conduct out of jail after posting bond
- Guilty plea in Austin criminal sexual conduct
- Oakland man sentenced for criminal sexual conduct
- No plea as Baez, former police officer accused of criminal sexual conduct, makes court appearance
- Former southern MN soccer coach charged with criminal sexual conduct posts bail
- Sheriff: Criminal sexual conduct by southern MN police officer began in 1992
- Man, 62, facing criminal sexual conduct charges in southern MN
- Freeborn Co. man facing felony criminal sexual conduct charge
- University of Minnesota wrestlers suspected of criminal sexual conduct
- Former Rochester school employee sentenced for criminal sexual conduct