SIOUX CENTER, Iowa (AP) - A former Sioux Center private school teacher has pleaded guilty to sexually abusing a child and agreed to a 15-year prison sentence.
The Sioux City Journal reports Curtis Van Dam pleaded guilty Monday in U.S. District Court to one count of sexual exploitation of a child as part of a plea agreement with prosecutors. He agreed to a 15-year term, which is the mandatory minimum required by federal sentencing rules.
Police arrested Van Dam on Oct. 23 after the parents of an 11-year-old boy reported the teacher had sexual contact with their son. He initially faced 146 Iowa counts.
Police say the charges stem from incidents involving numerous children over four years and that the crimes occurred at various locations, including Sioux Center Christian School, where Van Dam worked.
- Former Sioux Center teacher pleads guilty to abusing child
- Sioux Center outlasts Osage in state semifinals
- Iowa teacher pleads guilty to receiving child pornography
- Mason City man pleads guilty to sexually abusing a child
- Austin man pleads not guilty to child abuse
- Rochester man pleads not guilty to child sex abuse charge
- Rochester man pleads not guilty to sexually abusing a child
- Mason City man pleads not guilty to child sex abuse
- Former fugitive pleads guilty to child sex abuse
- Austin man pleads not guilty to child sex abuse