MASON CITY, Iowa - For a quarter century he has ensured that every vote counts in Cerro Gordo County, and now we’re finding out former county auditor Ken Kline is retiring.
For the last year, Kline served on the state level as Iowa’s Deputy Commissioner of Elections. His last day on the job will be February 1st. Kline has made election security and voting access cornerstones of his career.
Maybe his most noteworthy accomplishment is developing the nationally recognized "Precinct Atlas" during his time in Mason City. That program takes Iowa’s complex voting laws into account and streamlines the process for precinct officials and voters. It's now used by at least 77 counties in the state and is a legacy Kline says he's proud to leave behind.
“It provided consistent treatment for voters. Whether they are voting in a particular precinct or county, they were treated exactly the same and they were treated correctly under Iowa law,” he says.
His year in Des Moines was a busy one and says it will be one to remember.
“It is challenging work, with the General Election, implementation of voter identification, and then cyber security was a major focus of the entire office. It was a busy year and I was proud to be a part of it,” says Kline.
As for what he is going to do in retirement, Kline hopes to exercise more, travel with his wife and finally have time to complete his "honey-do" list around the house.
Secretary of State Paul Pate is announcing Madison County Auditor, Heidi Burhans, will take Kline’s place and serve as Administrator of Elections.
- Former Cerro Gordo County Auditor to retire from state position
- Cerro Gordo County Auditor has resigned
- Cerro Gordo County auditor tapped for statewide job
- Preparations underway for Cerro Gordo Co. auditor election
- Drug charges for Cerro Gordo County man
- First confirmed flu in Cerro Gordo County
- Cerro Gordo County dispatchers receive $16,000 grant
- Car theft sentence in Cerro Gordo County
- Rollover accident in Cerro Gordo County
- Whooping cough confirmed in Cerro Gordo County