DETROIT (AP) — Ford is recalling about 550,000 cars and SUVs in North America to fix a gearshift problem that could cause the vehicles to roll away unexpectedly.
The recall covers certain 2013 through 2016 Fusion sedans and some 2013 and 2014 Escape small SUVs.
Ford says a bushing that attaches the shifter cable to the transmission can fall off. If this happens, the driver could shift into park but the vehicle could be in another gear. That could let the vehicle roll, increasing the risk of injury or crash.
The company says it doesn't know of any crashes or injuries. Ford is advising owners to use the parking brake.
Dealers will replace the shifter bushing at no cost. Owners will be notified by July 30. Parts should be available late this quarter.
- Ford recalls 550K vehicles that can roll away unexpectedly
- Ram pickups recalled; tailgates that can unexpectedly open
- Counselors available after 10-year-old Hayfield student dies unexpectedly
- Ford recalls almost 1.4M cars; steering wheel can come loose
- Ford recalls 2M pickup trucks; seat belts can cause fires
- Man suspected of DWI found without pants after rolling vehicle
- Two-vehicle accident in Rochester causes one car to roll
- Toyota recalls 645,000 vehicles; air bags may not inflate
- Children's jewelry recalled in Minnesota
- Pet food recall in Minnesota