CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) — Police in eastern Iowa are looking for members of a mob of up to 40 people that swarmed into a Cedar Rapids convenience store, stealing items and destroying property in just seconds.
The Des Moines Register reports that the incident happened around 10:30 July 3 following a nearby fireworks show. Police say surveillance video of the Casey's General Store shows a large group of young people entering the store, grabbing items from shelves and refrigerated coolers and rushing back out of the store's doors — knocking over displays on the way out. From start to finish, the incident took less than 90 seconds.
The store's two clerks appeared powerless to stop the crowd.
Police say one juvenile has been arrested, but they're seeking the public's help in identifying others involved.
- Flash mob robs Cedar Rapids store
- No casino for Cedar Rapids
- Two hurt in Cedar Rapids shooting
- 19-year-old arrested for Cedar Rapids murder
- Fatal train/SUV collision in Cedar Rapids
- Plea deal in Cedar Rapids murder case
- Man gets 37 years for slaying of Cedar Rapids woman
- Cedar Rapids police charge man with 1979 killing of teen
- Man pleading not guilty in 1979 Cedar Rapids murder
- Cedar Rapids murder defendant charged with theft in Charles City