Flames severely damage Austin home

Officials say Wednesday fire started by a stove burner accidentally turned on.

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 3:08 PM

AUSTIN, Minn. – An accident involving a stove caused thousands of dollars in damage to a home on Wednesday.

A woman driving through the 1200 block of 4th Street NE in Austin reported to the police around 5:31 pm that she saw heavy smoke coming from the south side of a home. Police and firefighters responded to the scene and firefighters remained there until 10:11 pm.

The residents told authorities they were moving from the house and had stacked furniture in the kitchen so they could clean the carpets. A box spring mattress was put on top of some chairs and Fire Chief Jim McCoy says a stove burner was accidentally turned on while doing so, which caused the fire.

The flames caused an estimated $45,000 in damage to the kitchen and dining room.

The State Fire Marshal has been contacted about this incident. The American Red Cross says it is assisting the two adult residents of the home.

Article Comments

Mason City
Broken Clouds
76° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 55°
Feels Like: 76°
Albert Lea
Scattered Clouds
73° wxIcon
Hi: 76° Lo: 56°
Feels Like: 73°
Austin
Scattered Clouds
79° wxIcon
Hi: 78° Lo: 58°
Feels Like: 79°
Charles City
Scattered Clouds
75° wxIcon
Hi: 76° Lo: 56°
Feels Like: 75°
Rochester
Scattered Clouds
74° wxIcon
Hi: 75° Lo: 55°
Feels Like: 74°
Tracking a nice start to the weekend with storms returning overnight Sunday
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

Newman wrestling coach Mark Bertsch steps down

Image

Olmsted Medical Center clinic opening in Rochester

Image

Sara's Daybreak Forecast - Friday

Image

The end of "Garage of Goodness"

Image

Tree tour in Rochester

Image

Breaking news: Structure fire

Image

Changes coming to the heart of the city

Image

Kid hit by car: Surveillance video

Image

Closing up crop

Image

Chris' PM Weather Forecast

Community Events