BREAKING NEWS A record 6.6 million seek US jobless aid as layoffs mount Full Story
SEVERE WX : Winter Weather Advisory View Alerts
CLOSINGS: View Closings

Flames damage half of Albert Lea duplex

Basement humidifier is being blamed.

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 8:27 PM

ALBERT LEA, Minn. – A humidifier is being blamed for a fire that heavily damaged half of a duplex Wednesday.

Crews were called to the 1200 block of Cedar Avenue around a little before 5:30 pm. When they arrived, the resident said she had just gotten home from work and opened the door to find smoke in her home and the smoke detectors going off.

Firefighters entered and found flames in a basement bedroom. They were extinguished and it was found that a humidifier in the room and malfunctioned and caused the fire.

Damage from flames was kept to the bedroom but soot was found throughout the home. Estimated damage to the building and its contents is $37,500. The other half of the duplex was not damaged.

No injuries are reported with this fire.

Article Comments

Mason City
44° wxIcon
Hi: 63° Lo: 37°
Feels Like: 37°
Albert Lea
Scattered Clouds
45° wxIcon
Hi: 61° Lo: 32°
Feels Like: 39°
Scattered Clouds
46° wxIcon
Hi: 63° Lo: 40°
Feels Like: 41°
Charles City
45° wxIcon
Hi: 62° Lo: 46°
Feels Like: 37°
43° wxIcon
Hi: 60° Lo: 44°
Feels Like: 35°
Scattered showers on Thursday
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video


Organizations host webinar about available resources


Training your dog with virtual classes


Sara's Daybreak Forecast - Thursday


StormTeam 3: When will rain become a mix?


Remembering the journey, not the destination


How germs work, and viruses spread


Dr. McDonough Talks Vitamin D


Chris' PM Weather Forecast 4/1


Farmers hurt by coronavirus


Dr. McDonough on protective masks

Community Events