CLEAR LAKE, Iowa - The Clear Lake Walleye Classic is celebrating its 30th year increasing the grand prize to $3,000 for the winner.
After talking with some of the fishermen on Saturday, they said the bite was best during the early hours but seemed to decrease as the day went on.
Jim Thrasher is from Des Moines and made the largest catch of the day, a 5.51-pound walleye for a total weight of 11.83 pounds.
"It was the first fish that we caught today and I was hoping we'd have a lot more but it was fun," said Thrasher. "It's the first time we're in the classic so maybe a few more, if I can live long enough, I'll go to quite a few more."
- Fishermen experience early bites in day one of Walleye Classic
- 2018 Walleye Classic preview
- Duo of Holland, Kiewiet win 29th Walleye Classic
- Des Moines duo takes top prize at Clear Lake's Walleye Classic
- Bodies of missing fishermen found in northern Minnesota
- Lions leaning on experience
- First day of early voting
- A monster walleye catch in an Iowa lake
- Study to investigate lifespan of walleye in Minnesota lake
- Minnesota's take on a popular show: Walleye Tank