ROCHESTER, Minn. – A nationwide shortage of school bus drivers has some school districts and bus companies stressing about how to get students to school.
First Student is a busing company and trying to help with that. It works with all the schools in Rochester, both public and non-public.
“A lot of kids,” Jon Goetz, the location manager at First Student, said. “We transport 13,000 students.”
Finding the drivers can be hard to come by. That’s why they’re offering extra cash to get people behind the wheel.
First Student is using an incentive to attract bus drivers. A bonus of $3000 for new drivers, and $5000 for experienced ones.
“We thought by putting a bonus out there, that we're maybe able to maybe attract some people,” Goetz said, “and maybe think that 'hey, maybe I can play a big part in my community and haul kids to and from school.'”
This is a shortage many school districts are facing. Goetz said it’s especially challenging to fill the empty positions in Rochester.
“The unemployment rate is so low,” Goetz said, “so we want to start early and ya know get some buzz going and some applicants out here so we're not doing everything so last minute.”
First Student tells KIMT the reason they wanted to get their message out early is so they have time to train the new drivers before school starts.
First Student has the goal of hiring 15-20 drivers this summer. If interested, click here to apply.
First Student looks for people with a good driving record and no criminal record. They do not hire people with any felonies, drug or assault offense.
- First Student offers bonus to attract school bus drivers
- UPDATE: Student, driver identified in Iowa school bus fire
- First Student recruiting school bus drivers: 'We can train anybody to drive a school bus'
- What requirements do schools have in place for bus drivers?
- School bus driver removed from route after leading prayer
- Minnesota school bus driver accused of texting, looking up jokes
- Minnesota school districts scramble amid bus driver shortage
- Belmond-Klemme school bus driver commended for heroics after crash
- Man charged with shooting at Minneapolis school bus driver
- Driver sentenced for hitting school bus in Dodge County