BREAKING NEWS Minnesota National Guard identifies 3 killed in helicopter crash Full Story

Fire officials release more information on Mason City house explosion

A house explosion was caused by a leaking gas pipe in the basement that was ignited by the pilot light of the furnace, the Mason City Fire Department said Friday.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 10:20 AM

MASON CITY, Iowa - A house explosion was caused by a leaking gas pipe in the basement that was ignited by the pilot light of the furnace, the Mason City Fire Department said Friday.

Authorities responded to an explosion at 120 5th St. NW at 8:31 a.m. Thursday and found two walls with several windows displaced.

The explosion caused items stored in the basement to start on fire, the department said.

A person near the explosion described the loud bang of the explosion.

"It sounded like a thunderclap. It was ... the curtains were closed and it was a big boom, the house shook. It was just startling," Kelly Penn said.

No injuries were reported.

Article Comments

Mason City
Clear
36° wxIcon
Hi: 39° Lo: 30°
Feels Like: 26°
Albert Lea
Clear
37° wxIcon
Hi: 37° Lo: 30°
Feels Like: 28°
Austin
Clear
37° wxIcon
Hi: 38° Lo: 32°
Feels Like: 30°
Charles City
Clear
36° wxIcon
Hi: 41° Lo: 31°
Feels Like: 26°
Rochester
Clear
35° wxIcon
Hi: 35° Lo: 30°
Feels Like: 24°
Winter is roaring back
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

Weather Forecast Sean 12/6

Image

Making medical cannabis more affordable

Image

Sports Overtime part two

Image

Airfare prices drop at Rochester International Airport

Image

Sports Overtime: Friday night's basketball and hockey highlights

Image

Kerry joins Former VP Biden on campaign tour stop

Image

Byron Middle School Awarded $100k

Image

Operation Christmas Eve

Image

Deputy Chief retiring

Image

Youth Climate Strike

Community Events