SEVERE WX : Wind Advisory View Alerts

Mason City garage fire turns into safety lesson

A fire that started out in a burn pit to dispose of scrap wood leads to lesson on fire safety

Posted: Apr. 21, 2019 12:41 AM
Updated: Apr. 21, 2019 8:35 AM

MASON CITY, Iowa - What started as burning some dead pieces of wood turned into a lesson on fire safety for homeowners.

The Mason City Fire Department was called to a garage in the 2800 block of 12th Street NE around 5:30 Saturday for a report of a fire. According to officials, the homeowner was burning some scrap wood in a fire pit. After leaving it unattended, the fire spread to the garage. Fortunately, the damage was contained to just the garage and no one was injured.

With warmer temperatures on the way, Lt. David Orr advises homeowners to keep a close eye on what's burning.

"One of the biggest things is to always stay in attendance of your fire. Have a water source like a garden hose, fire extinguisher, something like that, so if it does get away from you, you can put it out. Follow our basic rules, like keeping your fires in a small pile so you can manage them."

Article Comments

Mason City
Clear
51° wxIcon
Hi: 59° Lo: 46°
Feels Like: 51°
Albert Lea
Clear
50° wxIcon
Hi: 59° Lo: 46°
Feels Like: 50°
Austin
Clear
52° wxIcon
Hi: 60° Lo: 48°
Feels Like: 52°
Charles City
Clear
50° wxIcon
Hi: 57° Lo: 46°
Feels Like: 50°
Rochester
Clear
50° wxIcon
Hi: 58° Lo: 43°
Feels Like: 50°
Tracking sunshine for the start of the week.
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

A look at the Kid's Cup event

Image

Short term rentals in Rochester

Image

Civic Center board of directors approved

Image

Rochester files lawsuit over opioids

Image

A family affair: Brother's face each other on the diamond

Image

Splash pad expansion

Image

Rural roads get a beating

Image

Chris' Monday Forecast 5/20

Image

Donations Helping Women's Health Pavilion

Image

Partial Roof Collapse at Mohawk Square

Community Events