MASON CITY, Iowa - A Mason City dental clinic is starting off the new year by figuring out how to get back to work after a fire broke out.
Around 6:00 p.m. Monday night, the Mason City Fire Department was called out to Mint Springs Dentistry on South Taft Avenue after passers by saw flames and smoke. While the cause of the fire remains under investigation, a local crew came over Tuesday morning to board up windows to keep the elements out of the building.
Inside, owner Dr. Noemi Cruz-Orcutt, her husband, and staffers are inspecting the damage, with ash and smoke covering virtually everything in sight. Despite the damage, some things were spared like her diplomas, toothbrushes and lobby Christmas tree.
Considering that she was there only hours before the fire broke out, Noemi says it's very fortunate that no one was inside at the time of the blaze.
Now, she and her staff are trying to remain positive, and not let the fire stop them.
"My team has been amazing in terms of 'we got this' and we'll be fine. Our main priority is to take care of our patients and we're doing everything we can to get back up and running."
She's received offers from other dental practices to help in the interim, by giving her a room to continue to see patients, and is grateful for the outpouring of support from the community.
"We'll be in touch with them and updating them. But I do appreciate their patience as well."
Since the majority of the damage was on the inside, Cruz-Orcutt says that the interior will need to be gutted.
- UPDATE: Mason City dental office suffers 'massive loss' due to fire
- Officer suffers injuries during foot chase in Mason City
- Update: Both cars a total loss after Mason City accident
- UPDATE: Unattended candle caused Mason City fire
- Mason City firefighters deem garage total loss after fire
- North Iowa dental office reducing opioid prescriptions
- Salvation Army helps those suffering from losses in fires
- UPDATE: Pedestrian suffers serious injuries after being struck by vehicle in Mason City
- UPDATE: Railroad officer involved in Mason City shooting
- House fire in Mason City