PRESTON, Minn. - Fillmore County is getting a new veterans home. That's after the Board of Commissioners took the issue up for a vote Tuesday.
After a 3-2 vote, the city of Preston was chosen for the future site of the new facility.
Michael Eickhoff is a veteran and owns a local sandwich shop in town with his fiancé, Brenda Lloyd. He said he's glad there will be a place close by for veterans to go.
"I like the fact that we got something local around here," Eickhoff said. "I mean, instead of us having to go to the cities for services for that, have something local for the local veterans to be able to use and get something out of too."
The proposal is for a 72-bed home, which is the model size that the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs is recommending for the county.
Lloyd said she thinks it will impact the community in a great way.
"I know I've had several people come in and say, 'that's where my parents are going when they need to go to the veterans home.'"
- Fillmore County Board of Commissioners votes on veterans home
- Anti-veteran vandalism reported in Fillmore County
- Auto accident in Fillmore County
- Apartment fire in Fillmore County
- Motorcycle crash in Fillmore County
- Fillmore County fugitive finally sentenced
- Election 2018: Fillmore County results
- Fillmore County Fairgrounds updates facilities
- Fillmore County driver in Houston County collision
- UPDATE: House fire in Fillmore County