WORTH COUNTY, Iowa - You may have seen horse riders passing through North Iowa and throughout the state en route to Camp Sunnyside in Ankeny on Easter Friday every year.
On Saturday, members of the Three Rivers chapter of the Pony Express Riders of Iowa were 'filling the boot' by collecting donations from drivers passing through the Top of Iowa rest area/Diamond Jo Casino exit near Northwood. All funds collected will go towards the camp that offers canoeing, horseback riding, nature trails and much more.
This weekend's fundraising is one of a series of drives the group does throughout the year.
Cindy Thompson with the group says the casino area is one of their strongest fundraising areas.
"Our biggest one we've made here on the corner by the casino is about $1,800. We usually average about $1,000-$1,200 in just four hours."
Altogether, Saturday's fundraiser netted about $1,200.
- Filling the boot for the Easter Seals
- Filling the boot for muscular dystrophy
- Pony Express Riders ride through Iowa to raise money for Easter Seals
- Hormel Host STEM Boot Camp
- Easter forecast: Chilly temperatures for your Easter egg hunt
- Seal extended on Huisentruit search warrant
- Hormel is helping military families this Easter
- Pope's Easter message: 'Hope and dignity.'
- Strong turnout for Easter church services
- FedEx profits slip after booting major customer Amazon