ROCHESTER, Minn. - On average, students can lose about a month of school learning during the summer months according to the Brookings Institution. To fight back against the phenomena referred to as the summer slide, the I.J. Holton Middle School family and community liaison hosted workshops walking parents through ways to keep students' minds on math and reading for a few minutes each day.
"Definitely a challenge trying to keep the kids off of the screens when they're home because they're just drawn to it," says parent Heather Johnson.
- Fighting the summer slide
- Hawks continue slide, fall 14-10 to Northwestern
- Fighting heat when fighting fires
- Northern Iowa continues slide with loss to Grand Canyon
- Early morning ice has people slipping and sliding
- Sophia's success this summer
- Wrapping up the summer
- Summer eye safety something to think about in summer months
- Guilty plea in summer burglary
- Fewer teens have summer jobs