HARMONY, Minn.- Mabel cooperative telephone company, MiEnergy Cooperative and Spring Grove Communication are joining together to create a new company called MiBroadband.
They are in the early stages, but MiBroadband plans to increase broadband towers around the area, bringing faster internet speeds to rural communities.
Chris Giesen is the Vice President of Community & Economic Development for Harmony.
He tells KIMT in the last year harmony's growth has been on a steady incline and sees this as another way to attract more people to Harmony.
“The economy and just the way of life continues to increase with that need for technology. This will keep us on that for front of being advanced and being able to attract people and businesses,” said Giesen.
The cooperatives plan is to launch MiBroadband in late fall or early winter first in Cresco and Rushford.
- Faster internet expanding to rural areas
- Voters call for high-speed internet in rural areas
- Get warmer in the car, faster
- Internet Safety Discussion
- The importance of stop signs in rural areas
- Des Moines-area tornadoes impact local internet services
- Fire in rural Worth County
- Update: Winter Storm Warning expanded in viewing area
- Study finds false stories travel way faster than the truth
- New fire truck designed to fight fires in rural areas, interstate