Family says boy thrown off Mall of America balcony is recovering

Child remains in intensive care.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 4:55 PM
Updated: Apr 19, 2019 8:36 PM

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The family of a 5-year-old boy thrown off a third-floor balcony at the Mall of America last week says he's "showing real signs of recovery" but remains in intensive care.

The boy's family posted the update Friday on a GoFundMe page that has raised nearly $900,000 for Landen's medical expenses. Beyond the fundraising page, Landen's family has asked for privacy.

Prosecutors have charged 24-year-old Emmanuel Aranda with premeditated first-degree murder for the April 12 attack . Aranda told police he was angry at being rejected by women at the Minnesota mall and was "looking for someone to kill."

Landen plunged almost 40 feet and suffered head trauma and multiple broken bones. His family says he still has "a long road ahead" to recovery.

Article Comments

Mason City
Clear
46° wxIcon
Hi: 46° Lo: 32°
Feels Like: 40°
Albert Lea
Overcast
41° wxIcon
Hi: 43° Lo: 32°
Feels Like: 36°
Austin
Overcast
45° wxIcon
Hi: 43° Lo: 33°
Feels Like: 40°
Charles City
Overcast
46° wxIcon
Hi: 45° Lo: 32°
Feels Like: 41°
Rochester
Overcast
37° wxIcon
Hi: 41° Lo: 30°
Feels Like: 29°
Tracking an active pattern for the midweek
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

Post offices preparing for busiest time of the year

Image

Sara's Daybreak Forecast - Tuesday

Image

Last Brick Road in Rochester

${item.thumbnail.title}

StormTeam 3: Tracking an active pattern for the midweek

Image

Eagles prep for state

Image

Lime Creek Nature Center is getting a face-lift

Image

"Don't Forget About Us" tour

Image

MNDOT & NWS teaming up for you

Image

Looking at lowering speed limits

Image

The next step for North Broadway

Community Events