SIBLEY, Iowa (AP) — A 39-year-old former football coach and teacher accused of sexually assaulting a child in northwest Iowa has been convicted of a similar crime in Nebraska.
Court records say Kyle Ewinger was found guilty Tuesday of sexual assault in Omaha. Prosecutors say that in 2012 and 2013, he assaulted the 9-year-old son of a woman he was dating. Ewinger's sentencing is scheduled for March 28.
Iowa records say the Sibley-Ocheyedan coach was fired after the district superintendent found Ewinger sleeping in his classroom next to a 10-year-old in October 2015.
Ewinger has pleaded not guilty to sexual assault. His trial in Osceola County is set to begin April 10.
- Ex-Iowa football coach guilty of boy's assault in Nebraska
- Bohannon, No. 25 Iowa beat No. 24 Nebraska 93-84
- Iowa football coach being sued by his neighbors
- Former Iowa youth basketball coach pleads guilty to child porn
- Kansas teen pleads guilty to North Iowa assault
- Another staffer assaulted at Iowa school for delinquent boys
- Mason City football coach resigns
- Guilty plea to jail assault
- Iowa prep football playoff pairings