KIMT NEWS 3- As the rain powered down over North Iowa Tuesday, Tom Renner was eager to be out in the field.
“We would much rather be out there combining beans and corn,” Renner said.
But the announcement from President Trump supporting year round E-15 is bringing a bit of good news on the dreary day.
“It gives you a little ray of sunshine,” he said. “It makes us feel like the administration is fulfilling their promise.”
E-15 is a blend of biofuel that is made using corn. The product is created at refineries like POET Biorefining in Hanlontown.
“This is a big day in terms of Biofuels and really the world of farming,” said Kelly Hansen, the General Manager of POET.
Hansen said these changes would mean a large need for the product they sell.
“The ability to sell E-15 year round creates 7 billion gallons of additional demand for biofuels,” he said.
He said the biofuel industry would then need an additional 2 billion bushels of corn from farmers like Renner.
“They need to move quickly on this,” Renner said. “This is a win-win deal for the ethanol industry and the corn farmers.”.
Hansen said these changes will not go in to effect immediately. He explained there will be a waiting period while the Trump Administration and the EPA figure out how to make these changes work.
- Year round E-15 benefits local farmers and businesses
- Minnesota growth has local benefits
- Investing in local businesses
- Klobuchar's team meets with local farmers
- County/city competition benefits local food shelf
- Low prices force some dairy farmers out of business
- Farmers and Water Quality
- 122 project impacting local businesses
- Local business causing neighborhood concerns
- Clear Lake businesses reaping economic benefits from 4th of July