Photo Gallery 5 Images
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa State Patrol tells KIMT more than 70 vehicles were involved in an accident on Interstate 35 Saturday morning.
It happened around 10:15 a.m. near mile marker 100 on southbound I-35.
Sgt. Nate Ludwig, with the Iowa State Patrol, said approximately 11 people were transported to local hospitals for injuries.
He said a majority of the crashes were caused by drivers traveling too fast and not allowing enough following distance.
The multiple accidents also caused authorities to shut down parts of Interstate 80. One spot was near mile marker 208 in Iowa County where up to 30 vehicles were involved with three minor injuries reported. Another spot was near mile marker 158 in Jasper County for about 20 vehicles that had crashed.
State Patrol says all crashes remain under investigation.
DES MOINES, Iowa – An accident involving dozens of vehicles has closed a portion of Interstate 35 in central Iowa.
It happened Saturday around 10:30 am between exit 90 near Alleman and exit 102 near Huxley. A detour has been put in place.
There is no official word yet on exactly what happened, how many vehicles were involved, or when I-35 might be reopened.
- UPDATE: Iowa State Patrol says over 70 vehicles involved in I-35 crash
- State Patrol: Vehicle plummets off I-35 near Owatonna onto railroad tracks
- UPDATE: Around 70 vehicles involved in chain-reaction crash on Interstate-35
- Iowa State Patrol wants drivers to 'slow down' after another of its vehicles involved in wreck
- More than 25 vehicles, including 6 semis, involved in I-35 crash near Owatonna
- State Patrol: Rudd driver involved in Freeborn County crash
- UPDATE: Minnesota chase ended in North Iowa, blocks I-35
- 3 injured in NE Iowa crash involving two vehicles
- Rollover crash near Minnesota-Iowa border on I-35
- Minnesota woman killed in I-35 crash in north Iowa