ST. PAUL, Minn. – An outbreak of cryptosporidiosis has been connected to people who visited the Shades of Sherwood Campground in Zumbrota.
The Minnesota Department of Health says three illnesses have been identified so far, including one person who had to be hospitalized. One of those three was also infected with E. coli.
Investigators say they want to speak with anyone who visited the Goodhue County campground since July 1, even if they have not been ill. State officials say this is necessary because they have been unable to get “key information” from Shades of Sherwood itself. If you visited the campground in July, you are asked to call the Waterborne Diseases Unit at 651-201-5794.
Cryptosporidiosis is caused by a microscopic parasite and is spread when people come into contact with fecal matter from an infected
person or animal. Medical experts say the parasite is able to survive outside the human body for long periods of time and is highly resistant to chlorine.
Symptoms of cryptosporidiosis often include watery diarrhea, stomach cramps, vomiting, loss of appetite, weight loss and low-grade fever. People typically become ill about a week after exposure, but this can range from two to 14 days.
The Minnesota Department of Health encourages anyone who experienced those symptoms, especially if they visited Shades of Sherwood, to contact their health care provider. Anyone with symptoms of cryptosporidiosis should avoid swimming while sick and for two weeks after recovering.
Officials say there are between 350 and 450 cases of cryptosporidiosis in Minnesota every year.
- Disease outbreak linked to Goodhue County campground
- 72 illnesses now linked to Goodhue County campground
- Deadly disease found in Goodhue County deer
- Rochester duo in Goodhue County crash
- Fatal car accident in Goodhue County
- Byron driver hurt in Goodhue County crash
- Rochester driver crashes in Goodhue County
- Dexter woman in Goodhue County crash
- Goodhue County Sheriff's: Snowmobile goes through ice
- UPDATE: Four arrested after shots fired in Goodhue County