DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The Diocese of Des Moines has released the names of nine priests it says are credibly accused of sexually abusing children.
The Des Moines Register reports that a diocesan committee, which included local clergy, a police chief and a judge, investigated the allegations of abuse that spanned from 1940 to 1997.
All but two of the priests named are dead, and seven had already been tied to abuse allegations — including Albert Wilwerding, John Ryan, and Richard Wagner, who were all defrocked in 2003 after allegations against them were found credible.
Des Moines Bishop Richard Pates says he shares "the anger and frustration" over recent reports of abuse by clergy, and that he hopes the release of the list Thursday will facilitate healing.
The following priests were named in a media handout:
Paul Connelly, deceased in 2007
Howard Fitzgerald, resides outside the diocese
Phil Hobt, deceased in 2017
Dennis Mangan, deceased 1976
John Ryan, deceased 2010
Richard Wagner, deceased 2012
Albert Wilerding, deceased 2004
Francis Zuch, deceased 1993
Leonard Kenkel, resides in a senior care facility within the diocese
- Diocese of Des Moines names priests credibly accused of sexually abusing children
- Priest addresses Diocese Bankruptcy
- Iowa diocese identifies 28 priests accused of abusing minors
- Diocese says Iowa priest who threatened rape has recovered
- Report says Pennsylvania Catholic priests abused more than 1,000 children
- Des Moines police investigating deaths of woman, 2 children
- Vatican approves name change for Winona diocese
- Minnesota priest arrested on accusations of sexual misconduct
- Feds accuse former Des Moines sports radio host of fraud
- Minnesota priest under investigation for sexual misconduct