ALBERT LEA, Minn. - Each month, KIMT News 3 and our Giving Your Best partners, Diamond Jo Casino and First Citizens Bank, recognize someone who goes above and beyond to give back to their community.
Our December Volunteer of the Month is Shirley Avery, who spends much of her time volunteering at Senior Dining in Albert Lea.
"This young lady is here 5 days a week. She comes in at 10 or a little before, she doesn't leave until 12:30-1:00. She helps set up all the tables, pours the milk, the water. She helps clear the tables, she comes back and helps us with dishes and she is just an all around great volunteer. And she does this every day," said Tom Sosebee Jr., who nominated Avery for the Award.
"Shocked," said Avery.
"Yeah, she's shocked. She doesn't expect it because she never expects anything," Sosebee said.
But what we can expect is for Avery to keep doing what she does best.
"I'll tell you this, these people wouldn't get the service that they get right now if it hadn't been for Miss Shirley," said Sosebee.
- December GYB Volunteer of the Month
- December GYB Volunteer of the Month: Kiester's Cathy Oldfather
- November GYB Volunteers of the Month.
- March GYB Volunteer of the Month
- April GYB Volunteers of the Month
- May GYB Volunteer of the Month: Matthew Reed
- GYB Family Fair
- August Volunteer of the Month
- Donations for GYB School Supply Drive are rolling in
- February Giving Your Best Volunteer of the Month