MASON CITY, Iowa – Firefighters dealt with an apartment fire in downtown Mason City on Tuesday evening.
Crews were called around 7 p.m. for an apparent cooking fire that got out of control in the apartment above the Technicolor Tattoo Studio at 9 South Federal Way. Black smoke could be seen coming from the upstairs window for several minutes.
Chris Ward works at Rieman's Music, a business that is attached to the apartment by a series of walkways, and is also a volunteer firefighter with the Clear Lake Fire Department. He is thankful that the fire was put out in a short amount of time, and that the damage was limited.
"It does hit a little bit closer to home. Some of these older buildings, the fires can ravage through pretty quickly, and it was great that the fire department got it knocked down. It's nice to know that we have that service available to us," Ward says.
He also has some advice for those who are cooking with grease.
"Never put water on it. Grease oil never mixes with water. Try to cover it up with baking soda, cover it with a cover from your pot. And never put your back to it, so that it gets away from you," Ward adds.
A child inside the apartment was carried to police, though the child only had minor injuries.
Officials noted that damage was minimal, though there is no word in terms of how much financially.
We reached out to the owner of the building, but did not wish to comment at this time.