KIMT NEWS 3 SPORTS – Another north Iowa native is doing big things as a collegiate athlete – this one winning a national championship.
Kendall Cornick is from Mason City and went on to play college softball at the North Iowa Area Community College before heading to Augustana in South Dakota.
On Monday in the NCAA Division II Softball National Championship, Cornick hit a two-run single that broke a 4-4 tie into a 6-4 victory.
She says the championship came by no surprise.
“It’s pretty surreal right now,” she said. “I keep thinking about it and I don’t know how to put it into words yet. Part of it, I expected it. This wasn’t a surprise or shock to any of us.”
- Mason City alum Cornick leads Augustana to NCAA Championship
- Mason City alum named MVC Golfer of the Week
- Clear Lake alum to compete in World Championships
- Clear Lake alum Joe Colon takes bronze at World Championships
- Chris Schleuger (West Hancock alum) leads UAB to Bahamas Bowl
- Mason City alum Meyer nets career-high 21 as No. 13 Iowa women beat Western Kentucky
- Mason City alum Recinos' FG lifts Iowa over Nebraska 31-28 at final whistle
- Mason City alum Eaton keeps focus to find success on and off course at Northern Iowa
- Megan Meyer leads experienced Mason City attack
- Mason City mountain bikers pedal past competition at state championships