LU VERNE, Iowa - A 35-year-old Coralville man is facing a first-degree murder charge in connection to Wednesday’s shooting that left a 43-year-old Algona woman dead.
The Kossuth County Sheriff’s Office said Valentino Williams, a prison parolee, has been arrested and is facing charges of first-degree murder and robbery.
He is currently being held in the Kossuth County Jail.
Jessica Weishaar, an employee of Security State Bank, was killed during the shooting in the small northern Iowa town of around 250 people just before 9 a.m.
Weishaar died from multiple gunshot wounds, according to court documents.
Witnesses to the shooting called the Kossuth County Sheriff’s Office and reported that a black SUV driven by a black male had been involved in the shooting, documents state. One witness attempted to follow the vehicle as it left town.
At 9:38 a.m., a traffic stop was conducted near milemarker 158 (near Dows) on Interstate-35. The vehicle description was consistent with the witness description.
After tracking the vehicle’s movements after the shooting, law enforcement located a black ski mask and black medical gloves along the roadway near County Rd. B63 and Highway 17. Law enforcement also located zip ties a short distance away.
While searching the vehicle, a rented Mazda CX-5, officers seized an empty black duffle bag, a backpack, spray paint and burglary tools.
The vehicle was rented Dec. 2 by Williams in Iowa City.
According to Iowa courts, Williams has numerous felony charges dating back to 1998. He was released from prison in October of 2017 and has previous robbery convictions.
- Coralville man charged with murder, robbery that left Algona woman dead
- Algona superintendent resigns
- Prison staff assaulted by inmate in Coralville
- Abduction attempt reported in Algona
- Coralville man pleads guilty to Kossuth County bank murder, will spend rest of life in prison
- Algona woman killed in Lu Verne bank robbery; suspect taken into custody on I-35
- Local union gives to Algona Manor residents
- Algona man pleads not guilty to sending, receiving naked images
- Algona man admits to asking a teen for nude photos
- Algona man sentenced for exchanging nude images with a teen