NORTHWOOD, Iowa – A man sentenced to life in prison for a North Iowa killing is getting another day in court.
44-year-old Tyrone Washington Jr. was found guilty of 1st degree murder for the 2013 stabbing death of Justina Smith in a Northwood park. On August 31, the Iowa Court of Appeals refused to hear any more appeals from Washington.
However, Washington has now filed for post-conviction relief and a non-jury trial has been set for August 15, 2018. Washington is seeking to overturn his guilty verdict and get a new trial, arguing the District court should have dismissed the second jury panel against him due to lack of minority representation and that his defense and appeal attorneys were ineffective.
- Convicted Worth County murderer wants a new trial
- Trial for Worth County attempted murder is postponed again
- Worth County attempted murder trial is on the move
- Sex abuse trial set for man convicted of attempted murder
- Worth County man to stand trial over unemployment benefits
- New trial date set in Worth County stabbing
- Worth County duo to stand trial for meth and pot
- Albert Lea man to stand trial for Worth County pursuit
- Attempted murder trial delayed in Olmsted County
- Kossuth County murder trial is delayed