Photo Gallery 1 Images
ROCHESTER, Minn. – Worries about snow on the roof at Gage Elementary have cancelled classes for Thursday.
Students were sent home at noon Wednesday after snow buildup on the roof caused a visible bowing in some hallway ceiling tiles in the east portion of the building.
Rochester Public Schools says custodial staff walking through Gage notice the ceiling tile problem Wednesday morning and students were moved into the west part of the building while a structural engineer was called. That engineer says he was concerned by the large amounts of snow on the roof of the east side of the building. The engineer says snow blowing from the west side was created a heavy drift.
Students were given lunch in the lunchroom and then dismissed as the maintenance team began removing snow from the eastern roof of Gage. However, Rochester Public Schools says so much snow has built up that the process is taking a lot of time.
In order to allow time for full snow removal and a full assessment by the structural engineer, both classes and before and after school SACC for Gage/ Spanish Immersion at Gage are cancelled for Thursday.
Rochester Public Schools says there was never any collapse of the roof.
“I want to thank our parents/guardians and staff for your support and cooperation,” says Heather Nessler, Executive Director of Communications for Rochester Public Schools. “I am proud of the Gage/Spanish Immersion at Gage staff for keeping the safety of the students first as they implemented their school safety plan.”
ROCHESTER, Minn. - Concerns over a possible roof collapse has led to an elementary school dismissing early.
Gage Elementary, located at 1300 40th St NW, dismissed at noon Wednesday over concerns of a potential collapse due to heavy snow that has inundated the area.
Custodians noticed the roof on the east side of the building, pod A, bowing, the school said.
People are blowing snow off the roof and other RPS buildings are being assessed.
RPS will make a decision later Wednesday about having school on Thursday.
We will have more information as it becomes available.
- Roof snow cancels Thursday classes at Rochester elementary school
- Sagging roof leads Byron MIddle School to cancel Friday classes
- Flights, classes, events canceled as snow storm rakes Iowa
- UPDATE: Classes resume Monday at Gage Elementary in Rochester
- Getting snow safely off your roof
- Rochester airport cancels all flights
- Thursday events in Rochester, Albert Lea canceled due to weather.
- Waterloo district cancels high school classes, citing threat
- Minnesota schools may seek reprieve for cancelled classes
- How schools decide to cancel or delay classes