MASON CITY, Iowa- A community is reacting after a man led police on a chase crashing his vehicle in to a parked car early Wednesday morning.
Joey Faught lives across the street from where the accident happened at S. Carolina Ave. and 8th St. SW. around 6 a.m. He said he didn’t wake up when it happened, but he saw the surveillance video from where the man was arrested at Hardee’s on 5th St. and Delaware Ave.
Faught said he isn’t surprised the chase happened on his street, saying it is a busy road, but it doesn’t make it any less concerning.
“Everybody would be scared in their neighborhood for something like that,” he said. “But they took care of it and everybody was safe except the driver.”
Police identified the driver as a 23-year-old Cedar Rapids man Thomas West. According to authorities, West is facing a number of different charges: burglary, felony eluding, interference with official acts, failure to maintain control and leaving the scene of an accident.
West was transported to Mercy Medical Center-North Iowa to be treated for his injuries. He was later transported to the Cerro Gordo County Jail.
- Community reacts to police chase through their neighborhood
- Muslim community reacts to volunteers and police protecting the mosque
- Local Jewish community reacts to Trump's announcement.
- Police: 3 houses robbed in Rochester neighborhoods
- Rochester neighborhood garden expanding
- Residents react to house being shot up in neighborhood Wednesday night
- Local business causing neighborhood concerns
- Residents unhappy with neighborhood rezoning
- Austin man arrested after police chase
- Police involved in brief foot chase