ROCHESTER, Minn. - As temperatures start dropping, many people are breaking out their winter gear. But it's not something everyone can afford to do. To help, a community coat drive is underway for people in the Rochester area.
The drive benefits people using The Salvation Army. Jackets are donated, cleaned, then available for people in need at the family stores. The Salvation Army gives vouchers for people in need to go pick up coats.
Rebecca Snapp with The Salvation Army said last year, the organization gave out 200 vouchers to families, which means more than 200 people needed coats. Snapp said the need could be expected to grow as the city grows.
The drive doesn't just help the homeless population, but also people living paycheck to paycheck.
"If you have to make a decision between getting a winter coat for yourself which is easly a $60 or $70 expense a lot of the time, or paying your rent, or your grocery bill, thats' the choice you have to make, is to forego that expense," Snapp said.
For the first time, the community coat drive is being organized by Schmidt Group Re/Max Results, Two Men and a Truck, and Nature's Best. The organizations jumped at the opportunity to help out when the organization that usually organizes the drive didn't this year.
"I certainly didn't expect to receive as much response as we received. People have reached out saying when is this going to happen, we want to participate, we want to be able to provide for this need and support you guys in this way," Snapp said.
The drive ends on Nobember 29.
People can donate coats at these locations:
Coat Collections will begin October 23rd to November 29th at the following locations. (Please check location hours)
RE/MAX Results: 4123 26th St NW Rochester, MN 55901
Natures Best Cleaners: Any Natures Best Location.
Co-Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist: 11 4th Ave SW, Rochester, MN 55902
Autumn Ridge Church: 3611 Salem Rd SW, Rochester, MN 55902
- Community Coat Drive for people in need in Rochester
- NIACC students host coat drive to help those less fortunate
- Community Peoples’ Forum – Our Voices, Our Votes held in Rochester
- Rochester holding community focus groups
- Second sentence in Rochester drive-by shooting
- Rollover injures two people from Rochester
- Community coalition for Rochester area Housing announced
- Community support for Rochester tree house
- Community Development Director named in Rochester
- Rochester named a "Bicycle Friendly Community"