KIMT NEWS 3 SPORTS -It's high praise from a man who competed in the Olympics.
“When I come to Clear Lake the first name I think of is Joe Colon. He wrestled for me and was just a world medalist – the first one in UNI history – when I come up here, I’m thinking about when I came up here recruiting him and made him part of the program," UNI coach Doug Schwab said.
Schwab is talking about one of the world’s top wrestlers in Clear Lake native Joe Colon. Schwab says he forecasted a bright future for Colon from day one.
“Absolutely, there are just things that you feel and see,” said Schwab. “If you believe in your guys – you believe they can reach those levels, they just have to believe that they can do that too.”
While Colon is seeing a lot of success, Schwab believes it is just the beginning.
“He’s done a great job – his career’s not done by any means but what he’s done so far has been great for this area - Clear Lake and UNI.”
- Colon, ranked 2nd in the world, leaves mark on Clear Lake, UNI
- Clear Lake alum Joe Colon takes bronze at World Championships
- UNI Panther caravan makes stop in Clear Lake
- Clear Lake grad Joe Colon beats World champion, wins gold at Pan American Championships
- UNI smashes Hampton, 44-0
- Clear Lake 9/11 Ceremony
- UNI downs Illinois State, 26-16
- Stony Brook beats UNI, 73-63
- Clear Lake alum to compete in World Championships
- SAW: Clear Lake's Gretchen Jones