CLEAR LAKE, Iowa- The 2019 Winter Dance Party is kicking of Wednesday with the annual sock hop. The Winter Dance Party brings people from all over the country to honor the late Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper who died in a plane crash in rural Cerro Gordo County in 1959.
The sock hop brings in around 1,500 people for the opening night. Those in charge say the weather is likely to keep the numbers down but says the rest of the weekend is completely sold out and people planned ahead for the nasty weather.
But those who did brave the cold say it was worth it.
“I like to hang out with my friends and dance,” said Taelyn Lietz.
“Buddy Holly the Big Popper and whoever the other guy is died in the plane crash and when we come here we represent them,” said Avery Hanson.
Follow the link below to see who all is playing throughout the 60th anniversary of the crash.
- Cold weather to have little impact on Winter Dance Party attendance
- Economic impact of Winter Dance Party
- 2019 lineup announced for Winter Dance Party
- Winter dance party in Pine Island
- Spring proms impacted by winter like weather
- SMART Transit routes impacted during winter weather
- Winter Dance Party at The Surf: 'To us, it's a place of worship'
- Changes to the Winter Dance Party after the death of Tommy Allsup
- Wildlife feeling the impact of winter-like weather
- Winter Weather & Skin Care