MASON CITY, Iowa - A quick step outside this morning may have had you wanting to go back inside.
There's no denying it's brisk.
KIMT Storm Team 3 meteorologists says highs are certainly on the low side, with temperatures being 20 degrees below normal. On this date last year, much of the viewing area was experiencing the mid-50's.
So did anyone feel like the cold set in early this year?
"Every 5 years it does this, every 5 years. Then it changes after that," Donnie Timmons of Mason City said.
"I was surprised that it was snowing this morning, considering it's not November or December," Chloe Featherston, also of Mason City, said.
So do they think the abnormal weather will continue?
"In any season, you can expect anything to happen. It may not be the way mother nature planned it, but you gotta be prepared for it," Timmons said.
"I feel like this year has gone off to an awful start and it might end in an awful time, but it could get better as it goes," Featherston said.
- Cold snap hits North Iowa and Southern Minnesota
- Iowa motorcycle rider hits deer in southern Minnesota
- Air quality warning across North Iowa & Southern Minnesota
- Peak alert for North Iowa and southern Minnesota
- Strong winds roar through North Iowa and southern Minnesota
- Man wanted in north Iowa, southern Minnesota taken into custody
- Road conditions in North Iowa and southern Minnesota
- Winter Storm Watch blankets southern Minnesota, part of north Iowa
- Tracking roadways: Trouble spots on north Iowa, southern Minnesota roads
- Saturday's Flood Warnings in north Iowa, southern Minnesota