A Clear Lake High School graduate will be competing for team USA in the 2018 World Wrestling Champions.
USA Wrestling announced Thursday that Joe Colon, a two-time state champion with the Lions, will compete at 61 kg after Nahshon Garrett suffered an injury in training and won’t be able to compete.
This will be Colon’s first appearance in the Senior World Championships. Competition will be Oct. 20-21 in Budapest.
After winning two state titles at Clear Lake, Colon was an NJCAA national champion at Iowa Central before placing third for Northern Iowa in the 2014 NCAA Championships at 133 pounds.
Colon is currently a volunteer assistant coach for Fresno State.
- Clear Lake alum to compete in World Championships
- Clear Lake alum Joe Colon takes bronze at World Championships
- Clear Lake 9/11 Ceremony
- Clear Lake grad Joe Colon beats World champion, wins gold at Pan American Championships
- Mason City alum Cornick leads Augustana to NCAA Championship
- Clear Lake alum goes from the dirt tracks of north Iowa to helping team win Indy 500
- SAW: Clear Lake's Gretchen Jones
- Clear Lake officially ice free
- SAW: Clear Lake Boys Golf
- SAW: Clear Lake's Chloe Mueller