WEST DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Two Des Moines-area police officers are on paid administrative leave after fatally shooting a man who brandished a knife at them when they responded to a domestic disturbance call.
The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation says West Des Moines Officers Nathan Grove and Matthew Wood fired Wednesday night on 26-year-old Jonathan Pingel when he refused their commands to drop a "hunting-style" knife.
The officers were called to a home on the city's north side. The division said when Pingel advanced on them with the knife, each shot him. Their body cameras recorded the incident.
Pingel received medical help at the scene but died after being taken to a Des Moines hospital.
The division is investigating the shooting and plans to turn over its findings to the Polk County Attorney's Office.
- Central Iowa police officer on leave after deadly shooting
- Arrest made in deadly central Iowa collision
- Officer identified in deadly Minnesota shooting
- Measles warning for central Iowa
- No names of suspects, officers given in deadly Iowa shootout
- Iowa students leave classes, rally against school shootings
- Deadly Christmas Day fire in eastern Iowa
- Guilty plea in deadly North Iowa crash
- Heavy rain hits central and northwest Iowa
- Robbery suspect shot dead in central Iowa