CLOSINGS: View Closings

Cause of Freeborn Co. fire in garage connected to daycare released

A garage suffered significant damage Tuesday after a fire in Freeborn County. KIMT photo

The daycare provider said seven kids were at the home when the fire began.

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 8:38 AM

ALBERT LEA, Minn. - A fire in a garage connected to an in-home daycare was caused by a malfunction in a fridge/freezer combination, authorities said Thursday.

The daycare provider said seven kids were at the home when the fire began at 17826 760th Ave. at 4 p.m. Monday.

For more on the fire, click here. 

"While en route it was relayed that the garage was attached to the home and the home contained a daycare. All children and adults got out of the home safely. Albert Lea Fire Rescue and Freeborn County Sheriff's office arrived on scene to find smoke and fire coming from the garage door and windows," the Albert Lea Fire Department said.

Article Comments

Mason City
Clear
29° wxIcon
Hi: 50° Lo: 35°
Feels Like: 20°
Albert Lea
Clear
30° wxIcon
Hi: 48° Lo: 35°
Feels Like: 25°
Austin
Clear
34° wxIcon
Hi: 50° Lo: 36°
Feels Like: 28°
Charles City
Clear
32° wxIcon
Hi: 49° Lo: 35°
Feels Like: 24°
Rochester
Clear
32° wxIcon
Hi: 47° Lo: 34°
Feels Like: 21°
Nice on Friday, weekend storm brewing
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

Finding ways to save during the pandemic

Image

Churches prepare to celebrate Easter in non-traditional ways

Image

Mason City company switching to production of face shields

${item.thumbnail.title}

StormTeam 3: Snow is on the way, but how much?

Image

Options for breaking a car lease

Image

Sara's Daybreak Forecast - Friday

Image

Job outlook during pandemic may be less than desperate

Image

Hearts for Hope

Image

False negative tests raising red flags

Image

Make your own disinfectant wipes

Community Events