ROCHESTER, Minn.-The first day of school can be an exciting time but also an expensive one.
The national retail federation reports families spend nearly $700 on back-to-school supplies for kids.
The Boys and Girls Club of Rochester held their annual "Back To School Bash" to help relieve some of the financial burdens.
The countdown for back to school is winding down and organizers at the Boys and Girls Club of Rochester are doing more than celebrating the end of summer.
“Are really trying to be centered around making sure that all our kids and all of our families are prepared to go back to school,” said Mikala Hora.
She works at the club, where they passed out backpacks filled with school supplies to families in need.
For many families, school supplies can be costly.
Hora believes every student should have all the tools to learn.
“We know that can be a very stressful time, especially for most people. So, if there's anything that we can do in the meantime to help that out and be able to provide them with the resources they need we want to be able to do that,” she said.
Kids including Landon Hay helped plan this year's festivities.
“Plan this event and put it on and like what can you have here,” he said.
It wasn't just supplies - the club teamed up with Education Exchange to offer free haircuts.
“Even just getting those bangs out our face helps us to study a little better,” said Founder Sara Hellerue.
It’s all the supplies you saw were donated.
They will continue to accept donations for school supplies throughout the year in order to help students all year round.
Their address is 1026 E Center St. Rochester, MN 55904
- Boys and Girls Club of Rochester help children prepare for school
- AT&T gives $15,000 to Rochester Boys and Girls Club
- New CEO named for Boys & Girls Club of Rochester
- New hire at Boys & Girls Club of Rochester
- Boys & Girls Club of Rochester hosts annual Heroes Breakfast
- Woman gets probation after Boys and Girls Club lockdown
- Taking Stock of Boys and Girls Club Heroes
- Rochester parents prepare for preschool
- Rochester Public Schools offering Drive Up Meals for children
- The Rochester Math Club Holds An Event