"Bone Treats" warning for dogs

The FDA says a total of 90 dogs have been affected.

Posted: Nov 30, 2017 6:53 PM
Updated: Dec 1, 2017 7:03 AM

MASON CITY, Iowa - We have a warning for all dog owners.
The FDA wants you to give it a second thought when giving your pet a "bone treat."
They say they've received 68 reports of pets getting sick and even dying from "bone treats", which are also referred to as ham bones, pork femur bones and rib bones.
They've been reported to cause choking, vomiting or blockage in pet's digestive tracts.
Dr. Matthew Smith at Brookview Animal Hospital says he's not surprised by warnings.
“They can have toxins in them but mostly the problem is the shape. The dog tries to turn it into a mushy mess and tries to swallow it and then it expands when it gets inside them or doesn't get swallowed that way,” Smith said.
Smith has had to work on dogs who have choked on those type of bones before. The FDA says a total of 90 dogs have been affected.

Article Comments

Mason City
Clear
40° wxIcon
Hi: 63° Lo: 38°
Feels Like: 40°
Albert Lea
Clear
39° wxIcon
Hi: 63° Lo: 39°
Feels Like: 39°
Austin
Overcast
41° wxIcon
Hi: 65° Lo: 38°
Feels Like: 41°
Charles City
Clear
41° wxIcon
Hi: 58° Lo: 37°
Feels Like: 41°
Rochester
Clear
42° wxIcon
Hi: 60° Lo: 38°
Feels Like: 38°
Next threat of any clouds or rain not until Sunday night
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

Poker tournament held to stop domestic violence

Image

Rochester coat drive

Image

Hunt for a cure

Image

Chris' PM Weather Forecast 10/19

Image

Ethnic Lunch Newsroom Liveshot

Image

Chris' 10 PM Weather Forecast

Image

Sports Overtime, highlights and scores from Friday

Image

Clear Lake donut shop best in state

Image

Homelessness experienced to raise funds and awareness

Image

Battle of the Badges: rib eating contest

Community Events