MASON CITY, Iowa – The work of an Indiana artist has won “Best in Show” in the fifth annual River City Sculptures on Parade.
The piece, “All Under Heaven”, is the creation of Gregory Mendez of Fort Wayne and is on display on East State Street near the drive-in entrance of Clear Lake Bank and Trust.
“The Mason City program selects and displays work from some of my favorite artists,” says Mendez. “Given the caliber of sculptures in the exhibit, I’m both surprised and honored to receive this recognition.”
This is the second time Mendez has claimed the $2,000 cash prize for the honor, with his work also winning “Best in Show” in 2014.
“The judges were very intentional in their selection,” says Sculptures on Parade chairperson Robin Anderson. “They reached consensus on the Mendez piece, noting the details of the textures and final finish. The judges also enjoyed the kinetic movement of the chains which represent the woman’s hair. They believe it represents both strength and grace. Most of all, they were impressed with the artist’s welding skills.”
“All Under Heaven” and many other sculptures in the exhibit remain available for sale or lease.
- "Best in Show" winner announced
- 'Best in Show' named for Mason City sculptures
- Winners announced from Clear Lake Harvest Festival
- Winners announced in Men's Senior Amateur Golf Tournament
- Hearing Aid Giveaway Winner
- Golden Apple Winner: Julie Streblow
- Golden Apple Winner: Sarah Glowaski
- Golden Apple Winner: Vince Reynolds
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Megan Gapinski