MASON CITY, Iowa - A man is fighting for his life after being found by police with multiple stab wounds Friday night.
Mason City Police said they got the call around 9:15 p.m. and responded to the 1300 block of North Federal Avenue.
When officers got to the scene, the found 34-year-old Benny Montgomery with multiple stab wounds.
Frank Mejia lives nearby, and was outside with his neighbor when they overheard some arguing. And then it took a turn.
"We heard a little bit of a scuffle. People were running, and the next thing we heard that somebody was stabbed and police were on their way."
Police say Montgomery was transported to North Iowa Mercy One by Mason City Fire Department. He remains in critical condition.
With scary incidents like this one, Mejia says the neighborhood tries to stay alert.
"Neighbors try to keep an eye on what's going on around here. We try to watch the area, and with that, we keep an eye on things, see what we can do to keep things going on, but you can never control it all."
The Mason City Police Department is continuing to investigate the incident.
If you have any information you're asked to call 641-421-3636.
Authorities believe this is an isolated incident and there's no ongoing threat to the public.
- Mason City man in critical condition after being stabbed
- Two men arrested for Mason City stabbing that left man in critical condition
- Mason City man charged with a stabbing
- Stabbing investigation underway in Mason City
- Man charged after 5 stabbed at Mason City bar
- Man to stand trial for Mason City stabbing
- Man plans intoxication defense in Mason City bar stabbings
- Mason City man accused of stabbing five changes his plea
- Road conditions blamed for 2-vehicle crash north of Mason City
- Sentence handed down in fatal Mason City stabbing