MONTROSE, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say a 15-year-old girl accidentally shot and killed herself at a gun club in Iowa.
Lee County sheriff's officials say deputies and medics were called around 10:40 a.m. Sunday to the Tri-State Gun Club outside Montrose, a community about 80 miles (129 kilometers) south of Iowa City.
The emergency crews found Haley McManus suffering from a gunshot wound. The girl later died at a hospital.
Sheriff Stacy Weber said Monday that Haley was accompanied by her father and that both were target shooting.
Weber's office says the incident is being treated as an accidental self-inflicted gunshot wound. No crime or negligence is suspected.
The teen lived in nearby Fort Madison. Autopsy results are pending.
A phone number listed for the gun club rang unanswered Monday.
- Authorities say Iowa teen accidentally shot, killed herself at gun club
- Spring Valley teen killed in Iowa crash
- Local gun club hosts gun show
- Family of fatally shot teen urges more gun safety education
- Authorities say Iowa boy killed by hit-and-run driver
- Authorities say Iowa man killed himself in Nebraska prison
- Iowa authorities say man fatally shot while coyote hunting in NW Iowa
- Off-duty St. Louis police officer accidentally shot and killed by on-duty officer
- Authorities identify man shot in Mason City
- Authorities investigate suspicious death of Iowa hunter