NEWTON, Iowa (AP) — The Iowa Corrections Department says two correctional officers were assaulted by an inmate at the Newton Correctional Facility.
The department says the inmate became combative when the guards began putting restraints on him around 6 p.m. Monday. One officer was punched in the head and bitten, and the other officer suffered minor injuries while trying to restrain the inmate.
The department says the guards were treated at the prison and says the inmate didn't seem to have suffered "any notable injuries."
The names of those involved were not released.
- Authorities say 2 Newton prison guards injured by inmate
- Authorities say inmate punched Iowa prison guard in face
- Authorities say 22 inmates involved in Iowa prison yard fight
- Former guard raises concerns about Minnesota prison
- Prisoner charged with murder in guard's death
- Criminal charges expected against Epstein prison guards
- Prison staff assaulted by inmate in Coralville
- Department says 2 guards assaulted at Fort Dodge prison
- Thousands of officers attend funeral for fallen MN prison guard
- Agency suspends Iowa prison guard over positive news article