Authorities rescue elderly woman after kitchen fire

Deputies were able to keep the fire away to get the woman out safely.

Posted: Dec 7, 2017 9:54 AM
Updated: Dec 7, 2017 10:01 AM

Olmsted County, Minn. – Olmsted County authorities helped an 89-year-old woman to safety after a fire Wednesday morning in Newhaven Township.
The Olmsted County Sheriff’s Office responded to 8518 Mechanic St. NW after the woman, Eleanor Nichols, said her cupboard was on fire.
Deputies Jay Clemens and John Strum arrived on seen and saw smoke coming from the east side of the house. They grabbed extinguishers and saw visible flames with Nichols inside with a walker. Deputies were able to keep the fire away to get the woman out safely before fire crews assisted on scene to put out the blaze. 
Authorities say the fire was caused by something going wrong with the microwave. An extent of the damage is unknown.

Article Comments

Mason City
Overcast
29° wxIcon
Hi: 32° Lo: 27°
Feels Like: 20°
Albert Lea
Overcast
28° wxIcon
Hi: 31° Lo: 26°
Feels Like: 21°
Austin
Overcast
32° wxIcon
Hi: 34° Lo: 28°
Feels Like: 26°
Charles City
Overcast
30° wxIcon
Hi: 32° Lo: 27°
Feels Like: 22°
Rochester
Overcast
28° wxIcon
Hi: 30° Lo: 25°
Feels Like: 21°
Light snow and steady temps
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

Rochester Housing Market Outlook for 2020

Image

10th Annual Autism Awareness Gala

Image

Gov. tours mall and Arena

Image

Ending Mental Illness Stigma

Image

Developments of Vision North Iowa

Image

New RCTC Memorial Hall

Image

Health Officials Monitor Deadly Coronavirus

Image

Chris' PM Weather Forecast 1/23

Image

Pancakes Fundraiser

Image

911 Outage

Community Events